No, but a consulting forester can. You can find a list of consulting foresters on our website Here.
Due to current logging costs, 30-35 acres is a good minimum sized stand for management purposes. Any smaller acreage will require a price reduction at harvest.
State law requires that you secure a "permit" before you burn any woodland, grassland, field, or new ground that is over 1/4 acre in size or lies within 25 feet of natural fuels, such as woods or grass. There is no cost for the permit.
Yes, violations can result in a fine of up to $1,000 and/or up to six months in jail. It's the law, and it is to protect your land from your neighbor's carelessness. this law is enforced in cooperation with local, state, and federal Law enforcement agencies, governments, and fire departments.
Check with your local AFC office to have a representative come out to your property to give a risk assessment. Our contact information can be found on the Employee Directory page.
Controlled or prescribed burning is the use of fire in a skillful manner under certain conditions for a specific forest management objective. A common objective is the elimination of wildfire fuels such as pine needles, leaves, branches, and fallen dead trees. Prescribed burning also benefits wildlife by increasing sunlight to the forest floor, producing more grasses and herbaceous vegetation for cover and food.

Code of Alabama, Title 9 - Chapter 13

It is a felony crime to:

  • (a)1. Willfully, maliciously, or intentionally burn, set fire to, or cause to be burned or any fire to be set to any forest, grass, etc.

The law is designed to ensure that outdoor burning is conducted safely and to prevent the spread of careless wildfire. It protects Alabama's forests.

Note: Burning household trash and garbage is a violation of the public health law.

To recieve the permit, you must comply with the following:

  • Have the adequate tools, equipment, and manpower to control your fire and keep it from escaping.
  • Stay with your fire until it is completely out.
Fading and red needles are indication of diminishing tree health. A group of trees in this condition is generally an idicator of pine beetle activity. The area needs to be inspected to determine what beetle is causing this problem.
You may have one of Alabama's invasive plants, Cogongrass. Call your AFC office and have the plants examined. Their number can be found on the "Contact Us" page.
This can not be answered over the phone. It normally takes a forester examining the trees to determine the problem. Contact your local AFC office for assistance.
This is a sign that your pine trees have been attacked by one of several bark beetles. Call your local AFC office to have the trees inspected. Their number can be found on the "Contact Us" page.
Information regarding endangered plants and animals is available on our website Here or on the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service website. Contact Ray Metzler, Threatened and Endangered Species Specialist with AFC, at for additional information regarding threatened and endangered species in Alabama.
Age is only one factor that determines when a stand of pine trees need thinning. Species, market conditions, stand density, and live crown ratio all play a part in determining when a stand should be thinned. For more information contact your local AFC office. Their number can be found on the "Contact Us" page.
Alabama ranks highest when counting the number of animal species offered protection under the Endangered Species Act. We rank fourth when counting the total number of plants and animals. Hawaii, California and Florida have many more plants afforded protection under the ESA than Alabama.